[3dem] sharing em maps during peer-review process

Stefan Bohn Stefan.Bohn at ucsf.edu
Sat May 2 09:45:20 PDT 2015

Hi,

a double-blind request does not mean one suddenly has to put effort in
order to stay anonymous. Just keep writing as before. We know this process
is not guaranteeing anonymity - but it gives more than before, no?

Conflicts of interest dont play a role anymore, if one doesnt know, who is
involved, right? And if one has a suspicion, one can let the editor know
and make him double-check... In a double-blind more responsibility may go
to the editors et al.

"As previously described", followed by a citation certainly gives another
clue. But then again, it could be misleading. One doesnt know, no?

I agree, a double-blind process is not perfect. But why serving reviewers
the exact names, their order and all?

Best,
Stefan.
On May 2, 2015 8:44 AM, "Edward Egelman" <egelman at virginia.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> to review papers since I have recently collaborated with the authors, etc.
> If the authors are not known, then these conflicts will not be resolved.
> Regards,
> Ed
>
> On 5/2/15 11:29 AM, Stefan Bohn wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> regarding double-blind review process:
>
> The community is expanding at great speed. I can not follow the
> argumentation, that just because we can search for scientists and their
> equipment online, we shouldnt have double-blind. Sure, often enough the
> experienced reviewer will be able to make the right guess - but it will
> remain a guess.
>
> Equipment: right now microscopes and awesome cameras are popping up
> everywhere - and often times these are shared among groups making it more
> difficult even to guess the names of all people involved, including their
> order, etc...
>
> Isn't double-blind a step forward? Why does a reviewer need to know the
> names of the authors? I never understood this, I find it distracting from
> the core idea of scientific evaluation. The work is supposed to be the
> center, not the names. Anonymity is not guaranteed, clearly - but is that
> the only reason to abolish double-blind?
>
> In an ideal world, we wouldnt need to think about this, as we would
> disregard the name and fame involved. But I agree with Sjors, that having
> the name of the reviewer public, may bias their review - consciously or
> unkowingly.
>
> What other caveats of double-blind could there be (besides having the
> trouble to search online)?
>
> Best,
> Stefan.
> On May 2, 2015 7:02 AM, "Edward Egelman" <egelman at virginia.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>   Thanks for pointing this out, since the submission date to these
>> archives (EMDB and PDB) is quite clear. They already have a strict policy:
>> no one has access prior to release!
>> Regards,
>> Ed
>>
>> On 5/2/15 9:57 AM, Hongwei Wang wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I strongly support the openness of science as suggested by Ed, Eva, Gab,
>>> Sjors and many others on the mail list. I totally agree that having
>>> direct
>>> assessment of the 3D map and models and even a few raw micrographs by the
>>> reviewers will only make the story more solid. The ultimate publication
>>> will
>>> also benefit from this for test in the future.
>>>
>>> I would like to propose, for the worrisome of competition, that the
>>> community takes account of the map or model's valid deposition date on
>>> the
>>> databank server as a criteria to evaluate the novelty and originality of
>>> the
>>> work besides the paper's publishing date (receiving date and accepted
>>> too). Of course, the databank server will need to set clear and strict

>>> 3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu

>>> 3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu