[3dem] Magnification anisotropy at low mag settings on Titan Krios

Stark, Holger hstark1 at gwdg.de
Sat May 24 05:23:45 PDT 2014

Dear Marin and Max,

our Cs corrected Titan initially had a linear magnification distortion of ~5% which is worse than the “normal” distortions one can typically observe for non-corrected microscopes. While this is not the primary use of a Cs corrector,  it is nevertheless possible to tune the corrector to minimize linear distortion. In our Cs corrected Titan we can reduce the linear distortion to <0.1% and these settings are stable over a very long period of time. Tuning the corrector for optimized linear distortion comes with a disadvantage of a slight increase in higher order aberrations. Those are, however, not resolution limiting in biological imaging and only of concern for material scientists. As Marin pointed out stable Cs corrector alignment requires a very stable high-tension and it takes indeed several hours (over night) to sufficiently stabilize after a restart.

In non-corrected microscopes linear distortion cannot be compensated and is dependent on the level of astigmatism in the microscope and therefore on the level of excitation of the stigmator which introduces the distortion. Since the basic level of astigmatism differs between microscopes one can expect the level of linear distortions to be in the range of 0.5-2%.

Best regards
Holger