[3dem] EM sample in high salt

Florian Hauer fhauer at gwdg.de
Tue Jul 8 03:18:11 PDT 2008

Hi Peijun,

sorry to bother you all again with the GraFix protocol, but it seems to
help in this case, too. If you run your sample in a GraFix gradient
containing 1 M salt, you can do a buffer exchange afterwards using a
desalting column (e.g. Pierce Desalt Spin column, GE PD MiniTrap G-10
column etc.). During this buffer exchange, you can choose the salt
conditions you need for EM. The GraFix protocol will additionally help to
further stabilize your complex. We have lowered the salt conditions for
different complexes this way in various ranges and it has always worked
well without compromising the particle itself.

The reference to the GraFix method is: Kastner B et al. GraFix: sample
preparation for single-particle electron cryomicroscopy. Nat Methods. 2008
Jan;5(1):53-5. Epub 2007 Dec 23.

Should you have any more detailed question regarding the procedure, do not
hesitate to contact me personally.

All the best for your experiments,

Florian.

--
Florian Hauer

3D Cryo Electron Microscopy Group
Abt. 10710
Max-Planck Institute for biophysical Chemistry
Am Faßberg 11
37077 Göttingen

Phone: +49 551 201 1302
Fax:   +49 551 201 1197