postdoctoral position at NIH

Jenny Hinshaw jennyh at helix.nih.gov
Mon Jul 8 17:25:15 PDT 2002

Postdoctoral Position in Cell and Structural Biology Available at the
National Institute of Health, USA

The structure and function of proteins and macromolecular complexes
involved in endocytosis, membrane recycling and protein trafficking
is the focus of the laboratory. At present, we are examining dynamin,
a protein shown to be essential for receptor-mediated endocytosis,
synaptic vesicle recycling, and vesicle formation from the
trans-Golgi network. We are also exploring the role of other members
of the dynamin family of proteins including the Mx proteins shown to
be involved in viral infection and a dynamin-like protein (DLP1) that
has been shown to be involved in mitochondria morphogenesis.  This
work will entail purifying and characterizing the dynamin family of
proteins by combining biochemistry, molecular biology, fluorescent
and cryo-electron microscopy.  For example, using helical
reconstruction techniques, the candidate may pursue 3-dimensional
reconstructions of the dynamin mutants to determine the
conformational change undergone by dynamin that leads to vesiculation
in endocytosis.

With its diverse laboratories and expertise available on campus, and
excellent seminars, NIH provides a superb and stimulating scientific
environment that greatly enhances the postdoctoral training
experience.  Within our laboratory we have a Philips CM120 electron
microscope with a cold-stage, as well as all the necessary
biochemical (FPLC, Gradifrac) and molecular biology equipment.  On
our floor we have direct access to a Zeiss LSM 410 confocal
microscope and a CARV fluorescent microscope.  We also have access to
a state-of-the art FEI/Philips CM30 Helium-cooled electron microscope
with resolution capabilities to 1Å.  In addition, we share expertise
and scientific discussions daily with several established cell
biology laboratories working on protein and lipid trafficking into
the cell and between the cytoplasm and nucleus.

Contact:  Jenny E. Hinshaw, Ph.D
http://www.niddk.nih.gov/intram/people/jhinshaw.htm

Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology
NIDDK, NIH
Building 8, Room 419					phone: +1 301 594 0842
8 Center Dr MSC 0851					fax: +1 301 496 9431
Bethesda, MD 20892, USA				e-mail: jennyh at helix.nih.gov

Jenny E. Hinshaw, PhD				phone:	(301) 594-0842
Laboratory of Cell Biochemistry and Biology	fax: 	(301) 496-9431
Building 8, Room 419, MSC 0851			email: 	jennyh at helix.nih.gov
8 Center Dr.
NIDDK, NIH
Bethesda, MD 20892