[3dem] Tilt axis angle

Ricardo Righetto ricardorighetto at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 09:37:12 PDT 2024

Dear Zongli,

Thanks for bringing this up. As far as I know this is a bug (?) in Tomo5.
This is how you convert the TiltAxisAngle from the Tomo5 mdoc to match the
IMOD/SerialEM convention (followed by RELION and other packages):

TiltAxisAngle_SerialEM = TiltAxisAngle_Tomo5 * (-1) - 90

Thanks to Grigory Sharov for reporting this conversion previously on the
EMAN2 mailing list:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.google.com/g/eman2/c/piux0GdX_7M/m/ScQNh9TNAQAJ__;!!Mih3wA!GVNODk79TdJOM39MkZyCm_rvKZNLipdpiBvWB21fpWyrjyDvr4XqEo_dYpU6qzD0wqYVWclQix7y0-QNY6pdCiKCe1ND$

TiltAxisAngle and RotationAngle should always be 90 degrees apart in any
mdoc:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://bio3d.colorado.edu/SerialEM/hlp/html/about_formats.htm__;!!Mih3wA!GVNODk79TdJOM39MkZyCm_rvKZNLipdpiBvWB21fpWyrjyDvr4XqEo_dYpU6qzD0wqYVWclQix7y0-QNY6pdCjrgD61Z$
That's why you got the "correct" result when using the value from
RotationAngle as the tilt axis. Beware though that you may have inverted
handedness in your reconstructions. In my experience, the conversion above
should give the correct results.

Would be great if others can comment if this is indeed the case, and why
this bug persists for so long...

Best wishes,

--
Ricardo Diogo Righetto