[3dem] Inquiry regarding custom ethane cup in manual plunger

Benjamin Apker benjamin.apker at mitegen.com
Fri Feb 2 13:20:16 PST 2024

Dear Shiwei,

There are a number of things to consider for manufacturing these
(materials, thicknesses, etc.) for both the cup and surrounding LN2 dewar,
especially with regards to the best way to control the temperature of the
ethane (thermal transfer, heating, etc.).

We've manufactured a number of ethane cups/dewars for the systems we have
developed (e.g.  Temperature Controlled Ethane Cryostat
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mitegen.com/product/ethane-cryostat-for-cryo-em/__;!!Mih3wA!BfgNZM3_h7t450odv8qMlQvZcm7eEH279QBhw9gE18U3VJnWlGWV0msfeAOyUuePlqhKrYEB-iB7QT3oBw4E_z_wrHL6$ > - and  Manual
Plunge Cooler <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mitegen.com/product/manual-plunge-cooler/__;!!Mih3wA!BfgNZM3_h7t450odv8qMlQvZcm7eEH279QBhw9gE18U3VJnWlGWV0msfeAOyUuePlqhKrYEB-iB7QT3oBw4E_z-5ly3-$ > - both
developed in collaboration with Dr. Christopher Russo's group @ MRC LMB),
so we have some experience that we would be happy to share with you.

Given the larger cup size, you might want to consider embedding a heater in
it as in the above.

Also, attached is an image (low res) showing a recent custom plunge system
we built for a user with the above + a humidity-controlled sample loading
box - which might have applicability to your sample prep.

Happy to chat about options and things you might consider
for manufacturability.

Best wishes,
Ben

P.S. Feels like a bit of self promotion on the thread (apologies for that),
but this is honestly the type of stuff that gets us excited and we geek out
on. I'm thrilled we have built a company doing it!

On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 3:27 PM Shiwei Zhu <sxz966 at case.edu> wrote:

> Dear 3DEM colleagues,
>
> We are currently developing a customized manual plunger for freezing
> cryoET samples. We are seeking recommendations for a significantly larger
> ethane cup/dewar, approximately three times larger than the standard
> commercial ethane cup for the vitrobot, to better suit our requirements.
>
> Could you kindly provide suggestions for alternative ethane cups or
> recommend any manufacturers or suppliers who specialize in producing larger
> ethane cups?
>
> Thank you for your attention.
>
> Shiwei Zhu,  Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor,
> Department of Physiology and Biophysics
> Case Western Reserve University
> School of Medicine, Robbins Building E621
> Email: shiwei.zhu at case.edu
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.shiweizhulab.org__;!!Mih3wA!BfgNZM3_h7t450odv8qMlQvZcm7eEH279QBhw9gE18U3VJnWlGWV0msfeAOyUuePlqhKrYEB-iB7QT3oBw4E_0pk_IDV$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.shiweizhulab.org__;!!Mih3wA!GaPpuhjIN8Cma5qIH2XICUkM9YTpPI3XZtHqyjIPx60u42bUOuBIKChXv2Xw3tHlM-mCsqiPiLuBH47ilw$>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://physiology.case.edu/people/faculty/shiwei-zhu__;!!Mih3wA!BfgNZM3_h7t450odv8qMlQvZcm7eEH279QBhw9gE18U3VJnWlGWV0msfeAOyUuePlqhKrYEB-iB7QT3oBw4E_06lwy5J$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://physiology.case.edu/people/faculty/shiwei-zhu__;!!Mih3wA!GaPpuhjIN8Cma5qIH2XICUkM9YTpPI3XZtHqyjIPx60u42bUOuBIKChXv2Xw3tHlM-mCsqiPiLuH87k8Xw$>

Benjamin Apker
Chief Executive Officer
MiTeGen

95 Brown Road
MS 1034, Suite 124
Ithaca, NY 14850
office: +1-607-266-8877
fax:    +1-607-697-0400
delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission. MiTeGen, 95 Brown Road, Suite 124, Ithaca, NY 14850.