[3dem] 2D classification resolution problem

Takanori Nakane tnakane.protein at osaka-u.ac.jp
Thu Sep 7 02:57:26 PDT 2023

Hi,

Tilted data collection means that defoci vary a lot within a micrograph.
RELION uses CTFFIND, which finds only one defocus value per micrograph.
If the dataset is good enough, you can repeat CtfRefine and Refine3D
to bootstrap (see Fig 3 of https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://elifesciences.org/articles/42166__;!!Mih3wA!AnimFSo7qGvWrVPMUf3pJDzBeoDKRfRjvihyb6Diktr0NQutZuEqaIb6gXZVx8uSCtu5m9NBsxsf1BiZCFr5NAC1H3AmRizEXqA$ ).
Otherwise, you might need local CTF estimation by other programs such
as Warp.

Even if you manage to get local CTF, a tilted grid means a longer
path electrons have to pass through; so this has the same effect
as thicker ice.

In my opinion, tilted data collection is the last resort against
preferred orientation problems. If you can resolve the issue by
other means (e.g. optimization of blotting parameters, additives,
slightly different construct), that would be much better.

Best regards,

Takanori Nakane