[3dem] Seeking advice for RELION cryo-EM workstation

Guillaume Gaullier guillaume.gaullier at kemi.uu.se
Wed Oct 4 12:43:55 PDT 2023

Hi Alicia,

60 TB of bulk storage (maybe less usable space, depending on the raid configuration of these HDD) will be barely sufficient for working on one dataset at a time. Storage is the most overlooked of the configuration options (we are all obsessed with computing power, GPUs, etc.), but insufficient storage will be an endless source of problems and frustration down the road (speaking from experience…). You will be wasting GPU time if a significant fraction of the time is spent moving data around because the workstation’s bulk storage is full.

So you should plan for this before buying, and my main recommendation is to get as much bulk storage as you can afford.

I hope this helps,

Guillaume