[3dem] Windows XP T12 camera

Tobias Furstenhaupt furstenh at mpi-cbg.de
Sun Nov 19 23:35:06 PST 2023

Dear all,

just one thing to keep in mind:
if a camera is reasonably modern, it produces alot data to be read out - and a recent operatingsystem. This normally cannot be easily done anymore on the computer controlling the T12 microscope - especially if it is running XP.
Typically the camera is then controlled and read out on a second pysical computer (that is much more modern and runs a recent operating system). This 'camera computer' communicates with the 'TEM computer' to change/read magnification, change illumination, open/close valves etc.

For example we were able to operate an old Gatan Ultrascan 1000 on the old TEM computer (running XP), but our TVIPS F416 (not the FX416) and our Gatan Oneview have to have their own computer. Such a setup works very nicely - but just to keep in mind...

cheers
Tobias

Tobias Fürstenhaupt, PhD
head of Electron Microscopy
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MPI-CBG)
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 Dresden, Germany

phone: (+49) (0)351 / 210-2690
cell: (+49) (0)176 / 44498706 (NEW!)