[3dem] [EXT] microscope installation

Sylvain Trepout sylvain.trepout at monash.edu
Fri Jun 30 00:42:00 PDT 2023

Hi there,

I am not sure I understand which cooling loop you are talking about.
Because at the end of the day, the final loop will (almost) always be an
air-cooled loop. Example, if your local loop is cooled down by the building
chilled water, then the chiller of the building is most probably cooled
down by air. There are only a few systems which do not use air to cool down
the last loop, such as the computing cluster in Frankfurt, Germany which is
eventually cooled down by the river (if I remember correctly).

I would rather look at the cooling power each system can deliver. The air
cooling system has the great advantage of being fully independent. If there
is an issue with the chilled water of the building, you can still operate
your microscope. During my PhD we had a system where the Neslab could be
either air or water-cooled. This might also be an interesting solution to
look at.

Cheers,
Sylvain

PhD