[3dem] Quantifoil grids with continuous carbon

Cryo EM cryoemfan35 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 05:32:17 PST 2023

Hi,

We have recently ordered a few grids from Quantifoil with R 3/3 on Cu 300
mesh grids + 3 nm C  (Holey Carbon Films with ~ 3 nm continuous carbon on
top) configuration.

I have been observing recently that many of the grids of the batch have no
carbon in the hole when we screen them after sample freezing. Now, I am
wondering if it is possible/common that this problem can arise?

Otherwise, I would be more skeptical about our freezing or extended glow
discharge!

Thanks!