[3dem] Postdoc positions in anti-bacteriophage defense system cryo-EM, cryo-ET and protein design

Nicholas M I Taylor nicholas.taylor at cpr.ku.dk
Tue Dec 19 09:43:00 PST 2023

Dear all,

We have 3 postdoctoral positions available in my group at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research, University of Copenhagen. We aim to recruit scientists with extensive experience in one or more of the techniques of interest to help pioneer and establish this new research field. The positions are for 2 years in the first instance and can be renewed for up to 4 years in total, providing a unique long-term opportunity to work on an exciting project in a well-equipped and supportive environment.

Background
Bacteria are under constant attack by bacteriophages, and have evolved intricate systems to tackle this constant threat (Doron et al, Science, 2018). We have a special focus on anti-bacteriophage defense at the bacterial cell envelope/membrane, for which we recently received a large Hallas Møller Ascending Investigator grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation. We have been actively working on anti-bacteriophage defense in the past years with our first preprint now online (Hu et al., https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.12.18.572097v1__;!!Mih3wA!Ep_AEcuqAPbGjaD_12OpcDBID0F9_wOfcdapbsK64JpUv0EcUmYFU1VILB2HdFOgQ2X0U60SBFsjeeTfXj0acCUvTDJyhwk$ ).

We will investigate defense systems using three approaches: single particle cryo-EM, cryo-electron tomography, and protein bioinformatics/design. Together with expert collaborators in phage biology, engineering and light microscopy, we aim to unravel fundamentally novel mechanisms in anti-bacteriophage defense and biology.

We are looking for three motivated postdocs with experience in one of the three approaches to help tackle this exciting challenge.

Position 1
The postdoc will be involved in the expression and purification of components of anti-bacteriophage defense systems interacting with the bacterial cell membrane. Using single particle cryo-electron microscopy, the postdoc will investigate the structure of these systems in different states.

Position 2
The postdoc will study anti-bacteriophage defense systems interacting with the bacterial cell membrane using cryo-electron tomography. They will investigate how the defense systems are able to ward of bacteriophage infections.

Position 3
The postdoc will investigate anti-bacteriophage defense systems as well as phage-encoded inhibitors for these defense systems from a computational point of view. In particular, they will use structure prediction to predict novel defense systems and protein design to design new defense systems.

 More info and apply here (deadline : January 8 2024, 23.59pm CET):

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/?show=160758__;!!Mih3wA!Ep_AEcuqAPbGjaD_12OpcDBID0F9_wOfcdapbsK64JpUv0EcUmYFU1VILB2HdFOgQ2X0U60SBFsjeeTfXj0acCUv87EYBZE$

If you have any questions about the positions, please contact: nicholas.taylor at cpr.ku.dk<mailto:nicholas.taylor at cpr.ku.dk>.
Best wishes,

Nicholas

--

Nicholas M. I. Taylor, PhD
Associate Professor

University of Copenhagen
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research
Blegdamsvej 3B, Office 6.1.14
2200 Copenhagen N
Denmark

nicholas.taylor at cpr.ku.dk<mailto:nicholas.taylor at cpr.ku.dk>
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.cpr.ku.dk__;!!Mih3wA!Ep_AEcuqAPbGjaD_12OpcDBID0F9_wOfcdapbsK64JpUv0EcUmYFU1VILB2HdFOgQ2X0U60SBFsjeeTfXj0acCUvk-walZM$

[signature_2597359511] [signature_294642431] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.cpr.ku.dk/__;!!Mih3wA!Ep_AEcuqAPbGjaD_12OpcDBID0F9_wOfcdapbsK64JpUv0EcUmYFU1VILB2HdFOgQ2X0U60SBFsjeeTfXj0acCUvohBZAD4$ >