[3dem] how to dispose of used liquid nitrogen?

Guillaume Gaullier guillaume.gaullier at kemi.uu.se
Tue Aug 1 00:50:02 PDT 2023

Hello,

Why not donate this liquid nitrogen? If there are at your institution biochemists storing purified proteins and/or cell biologists cryo-preserving cell lines, it's likely that these people would use free liquid nitrogen if they knew where to find it. So try emailing your institution-wide list and see whether that solves your problem.

If you need your tank empty and dry as soon as possible for the next clean refill, one option would be to transfer its leftover nitrogen to smaller dewars that you would then advertise as free LN2 up for grabs. Of course, store these in a well ventilated room, so if nobody wants this nitrogen it can safely evaporate passively (less work for you compared to having to actively get rid of it).

It seems wasteful to evaporate it without at least giving other people a chance to use it.

I hope this helps,

Guillaume