[3dem] how to dispose of used liquid nitrogen?

Tobias Furstenhaupt furstenh at mpi-cbg.de
Tue Aug 1 00:07:52 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,
we own a Cryo lightmicroscope (Stellaris 8 Cryo-CLEM from Leica) that uses a 25 liter dewar for liquid nitrogen. Sometimes the session ends early and eventually we have a half-full dewar and we cannot re-use the liquid nitrogen anywhere else - either everything else is full or at some instruments we do not re-use nitrogen because of possible contaminations.

We think of blowing it out with nitrogen gas at a very well ventilated area. But this would require room alterations.
Therefore my question to you: How do you dispose of 10-20 liters of liquid nitrogen (that cannot be used anywhere else)? Or are we unique in our problem?

cheers
Tobias

Tobias Fürstenhaupt, PhD
head of Electron Microscopy
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MPI-CBG)
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 Dresden, Germany

mail: furstenh at mpi-cbg.de
phone: (+49) (0)351 210-2690