[3dem] Career Staff position in the EML @UCBerkeley

Danielle Jorgens dmjorgens at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 11 12:06:27 PDT 2022

Dear 3DEM group,

We have an immediate opening for a career-level staff position in the EML
at UC Berkeley.

*To apply*:  Search Job Position #43866:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21__;!!Mih3wA!HXKRJgsPV4LlUSwLRlEywElvr907PyjrAzW4VvBVilQqyntpiZYWAvN07h1LyYc-R0eRua4MlQYssAeQ7rpD1KwnUw$

General Job Listing website:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://jobs.berkeley.edu/job-listings/external-applicants__;!!Mih3wA!HXKRJgsPV4LlUSwLRlEywElvr907PyjrAzW4VvBVilQqyntpiZYWAvN07h1LyYc-R0eRua4MlQYssAeQ7rpwwZ0-Vg$

*About the position*: We're looking for folks that have a strong biological
background in SEM and TEM and ideally someone with some cryoEM knowledge as
well.  At our facility, we do a large amount of teaching/training in
addition to our own experimentation, so I encourage applicants who are
interested in that and have experience with training others in complex
experiments and with complex equipment.  Under the direction of the
facility head, the candidate will be responsible for maintaining the SEM
instruments, cryo-sample preparation tools, supporting equipment, and the
IT resources (internal network and servers) within the facility. The
candidate will participate in preparing specimens for both conventional and
cryo SEM applications and training users in a wide variety of tools,
participating in the publication of research results, and establishing
SOPs.

*About the EML:* The Electron Microscope Laboratory (EML) is a teaching and
research resource in the College of Letters and Science and serves as a
core facility for the entire Berkeley campus. Its mission is to teach
students and other users the techniques of modern electron microscopy and
to provide the instruments and expertise for use in their research.
Electron microscopy is one the basic tools in biology, chemistry, and
materials science and is currently experiencing a cycle of renewed
importance in research, especially in biology.

The EML has recently acquired a state-of-the-art cryo-enabled Zeiss
Crossbeam 550 focused ion beam scanning electron microscope (cryo-FIB-SEM)
that will be integrated into a suite of cryo-sample preparation tools (high
pressure freezer, plunge freezer, cryo-fluorescence microscope) as part of
the campus cryo-electron tomography pipeline (cryo-ET and cryo-EM) for
cutting-edge structural, biophysical, and cell biology research.  In
addition to supporting the cutting-edge cryo workflows for both structural
and cell biology, the EML supports a wide range of research across the
Berkeley campus.  Such research at the EML includes areas like nanoparticle
development, virus, phage, and bacteria work, single particle screening,
catalyst analysis, soft and battery materials imaging, as well as a variety
of other life and materials science focused projects.

Please do pass this along to anyone you may know who should apply!
Cheers,
Danielle Jorgens

Danielle Jorgens, PhD
Director, Electron Microscope Lab
21 Barker Hall, University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720 |  https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://em-lab.berkeley.edu__;!!Mih3wA!HXKRJgsPV4LlUSwLRlEywElvr907PyjrAzW4VvBVilQqyntpiZYWAvN07h1LyYc-R0eRua4MlQYssAeQ7roLHb3WOg$
*Lab: 510-642-2085* | Office: 510-664-4414
EML Twitter: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/eml_ucb__;!!Mih3wA!HXKRJgsPV4LlUSwLRlEywElvr907PyjrAzW4VvBVilQqyntpiZYWAvN07h1LyYc-R0eRua4MlQYssAeQ7roBS81vMA$