[3dem] PhD student position @ the Max Planck Institute for Multidisciplinary Sciences, Goettingen

Sonja Lorenz sonja.lorenz at mpinat.mpg.de
Fri May 20 23:31:25 PDT 2022

PhD Student Position
The Max Planck Institute for Multidisciplinary Sciences <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mpinat.mpg.de_de&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-UyhEhUmuXEI3kZY20EPQLQxQsu-y7TgyKbGMBME5BAX6tXYblv7F2EtMfuz-DPu&s=VG_SFxTXy_LZLVAxivYA50VpNn-P0ggo98rnoboEe_Q&e= > is a leading international research institute of exceptional scientific breadth. With more than 40 research groups and some 1,000 employees from over 50 nations, it is the largest institute of the Max Planck Society <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mpg.de_de&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-UyhEhUmuXEI3kZY20EPQLQxQsu-y7TgyKbGMBME5BAX6tXYblv7F2EtMfuz-DPu&s=uy9idyS0YAU0K-Vd3-ca0PSyEqtLNSHCM0h3lBgHMLI&e= >.

The research group Ubiquitin Signaling Specificity <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mpinat.mpg.de_de_lorenz&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-UyhEhUmuXEI3kZY20EPQLQxQsu-y7TgyKbGMBME5BAX6tXYblv7F2EtMfuz-DPu&s=qPF8ilH8K-kmki9DV3QnAndRnZwS3WW4KWviJP60Z2A&e= > (Dr. Sonja Lorenz) invites applications for a position as

PhD student (f/m/d)
– Ribosome-associated protein modification mechanisms –

Posttranslational protein modifications with ubiquitin and ubiquitin-like modifiers (Ubls) are pivotal regulators of diverse aspects of gene expression. At the stage of protein synthesis, this concept is illustrated by the intricate interplay of the ubiquitin/Ubl systems with the ribosome. We are offering a fully-funded PhD position to explore the intriguing question of how ribosome-associated posttranslational modifications influence protein synthesis. The project broadly aims to reveal the mechanisms and cellular functions of the underlying protein complexes by reconstituting them, determining their structures by cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM), and analyzing their activities and specificities in vitro and in cells. Depending on the candidate’s specific interests and expertise, the work program can focus on one or several of these aspects.

The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join one of several attractive PhD programs within the Göttingen Graduate Center for Neurosciences, Biophysics, and Molecular Biosciences, a collaboration with the University of Göttingen (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.uni-2Dgoettingen.de_en_56640.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-UyhEhUmuXEI3kZY20EPQLQxQsu-y7TgyKbGMBME5BAX6tXYblv7F2EtMfuz-DPu&s=PIUpW3410NAou-bd9jSLkdUy4_QUUAm7YG_eg6Foalw&e= ). Fast-track MSc-PhD students are also welcome to apply.

Your profile

You have a Masters or equivalent degree in the life sciences, e.g., biology, biochemistry, biomedicine, biophysics, or chemistry.
You have a strong background in one of the following areas: protein biochemistry, enzymology or structural biology.
Initial experience with ribosome-directed research or mammalian cell culture techniques would be beneficial.
You are keen to gain an integrated understanding of macromolecular machines by working at the interface of biochemistry, cell biology, and structural biology.
You are passionate about science, curiosity-driven, and highly self-motivated.
You are open-minded and enjoy being part of an international, multidisciplinary team.
What we offer

Exciting and competitive work in an interdisciplinary environment
A wide range of opportunities to balance work and family life, e.g., an on-campus kindergarten including vacation care
Professional training opportunities and language courses
Spacious cafeteria with a wide range of meals and an espresso bar
Health management: free fitness and yoga room, sports groups, courses for a "moving break"
Initiatives for sustainability and a green environment with a new biotope
About us

Based at one of Germany’s premier research campuses, our independent research group has access to leading-edge infrastructure in all areas of cell and structural biology. Our laboratory combines chemical-biological, biochemical, cell biological, and structural approaches to understand the fundamental mechanisms of ubiquitination and other types of posttranslational modifications. We are an ambitious, international team, supported by the Max Planck Society, the German Research Foundation, and the EMBO Young Investigator Program. Our working language is English; knowledge of German is not required. The historic city of Göttingen, located in the center of Germany, offers great outdoor and cultural opportunities, a vibrant student scene, and an impressive scientific heritage.

Position details

The position should be filled as soon as possible; the start date is flexible. Payment and benefits are based on the TVöD guidelines. Applications will be reviewed immediately until the position is filled.

The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.

Application

Please submit your application including cover letter (explaining background and motivation), CV, transcripts, list of publications, and the contact details of at least two academic referees preferably by e-mail as a single PDF file to

ausschreibung30-22 at mpinat.mpg.de

Max Planck Institute for Multidisciplinary Sciences
Research Group “Ubiquitin Signaling Specificity”
Dr. Sonja Lorenz
Am Faßberg 11
37077 Göttingen
Germany

Twitter: SLorenzLab

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.mpinat.mpg.de_lorenz&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-UyhEhUmuXEI3kZY20EPQLQxQsu-y7TgyKbGMBME5BAX6tXYblv7F2EtMfuz-DPu&s=_gRPTdCSpLKVLV3xFFnyT7i9hWbLVK0UgsL9nLIVwAk&e=