[3dem] Postdoctoral Fellow in Structural Biology of Epigenetic Complexes Worden Lab

Doerr, Megan Megan.Doerr at vai.org
Mon May 2 06:45:07 PDT 2022

Postdoctoral Fellow in Structural Biology of Epigenetic Complexes
Worden Lab
Multiple postdoctoral positions are available in the laboratory of Dr. Evan Worden<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wordenlab.vai.org_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=uJDvg_xansPh3EtFhFOTgER3IY2H5UG1KKC5iKtSyB8&e= > in the Department of Structural Biology at the Van Andel Institute (VAI<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.vai.org_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=UXi7v-ar8LrKM45YyeBAOxKiQRmVdBgB4ndqoaRMnYM&e= >). Dr. Worden’s lab leverages Cryo-EM to decipher the structural and biochemical mechanisms that regulate chromatin-modifying complexes, which are important for the formation of cancer and development of new treatments.
Why choose the Worden Lab?

  *   As a postdoctoral researcher in the lab you will explore fundamental epigenetic mechanisms that regulate retrotransposons using Cryo-Electron Microscopy and chromatin biochemistry.
  *   Training will be provided in both traditional and state-of-the-art technologies.
  *   Gain experience in a highly interdisciplinary environment that allows close interaction across the growing labs and Cores at VAI.
  *   The Worden Lab is within the Department of Structural Biology<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vari.vai.org_structural-2Dbiology_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=xXF2OZIw3VDCqk0XqGz4MJDa8CfxdWIqTL1jG9-ufQ8&e= >, which includes a group of highly collaborative scientists revealing groundbreaking new insights into the most fundamental aspects of biology.
  *   Dr. Worden is part of the T32 program at VAI<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vari.vai.org_cancer-2Depigenetics-2Dtraining-2Dprogram_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=Qbkdtt-XKL5UZ8GO87IQigD5p-V1aPInkuqEi1ak_dk&e= >.  Eligible candidates interested in this program are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications:

  *   A Ph.D. graduate in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or any closely related field.
  *   Experience in Structural Biology and protein Biochemistry is preferred, but not required.
  *   Collaborative, team player who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with junior members of the lab
  *   Ability to independently design and carry out complex research projects
  *   Excitement to pursue interesting new research directions and willingness to take scientific risks
  *   Excellent verbal and written scientific communication skills

Why join Van Andel Institute as a Postdoctoral Fellow?

Postdoctoral fellows are a crucial part of Van Andel Institute’s efforts to improve the health and enhance the lives of current and future generations. Postdoctoral Fellows are full-time employees and receive a competitive annual salary. This salary is determined based on Doctorate/MD receipt date according to a set stipend schedule, which begins at $57,200 and up to a maximum of $61,360. Applicants with exceptional qualifications may be considered for other salary scales.

Along with the competitive salary, our Postdoctoral Fellows are eligible for VAI benefits<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.vai.org_careers_benefits-2Doverview_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=_s_tBVklFTLixulKXP1tAtaXrD64NhHFqVrsP1xaYeA&e= >, including:

  *   Medical, dental and vision coverage
  *   Employer-sponsored life and AD&D insurance
  *   Additional voluntary life and AD&D insurance for employees and dependents
  *   Short-term and long-term disability insurance
  *   Flexible-spending accounts for health and child/elder care
  *   401 K retirement savings plans with employee/employer contributions
  *   Paid vacation, holidays, personal days
  *   Relocation Assistance

VAI recognizes that selecting where to complete a postdoctoral fellowship is a significant decision for postdoctoral fellows. VAI has a dedicated Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, which provides a comprehensive professional development program<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__vari.vai.org_postdoctoral_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=4cxgymUUC3GL8nXtkSkaFKyLXbEHAog6oIbPMrh5H0M&e= >.

The Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__hellowestmichigan.com_Work-2DHere_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=LrRuYAa_Qufa1C_OPp-TuURYOcLTr5EF5AjVp3lMArk&e= >.  A remarkable combination of a cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, Grand Rapids<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.rightplace.org_&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=MvVGI5JqPMZR7vBKEbROIYpRybzpQQSskGRmgqoXe8I&e= > is known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community. It’s fun affordable and family-friendly.

Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.experiencegr.com_-3Fsvap-3D114074-26gclid-3DCjwKCAjwlcaRBhBYEiwAK341jaw8UyjmV7UsidtBD4PWlHg251GJzSMQ2dey0KcIq-5F5QBa1k5nREWBoCG-5F8QAvD-5FBwE&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=PsH5L8x9BtqeguTU9MHeoVh1UzMIDtt-ystaZbRfh_A&e= > offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walk-able neighborhoods and natural areas.

With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
If you possess these attributes and enjoy working with motivated and committed people, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__bit.ly_3LiQbbB&d=DwIGaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=-2UY1lNDoB7rQ74NzpJuNRGiiXJy06gocRC1xFAj2FyaWJ9ySciH6mLwg11r74xA&s=pFevhYc25XJ---nUXzocaOVwTDHzxarr5XEwyNbjsUc&e=
We ask you to submit:

  *   A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and how you might contribute to Worden Lab Research.
  *   An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
  *   A list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details (email and phone number).
Please contact Megan Doerr (Megan.Doerr at vai.org) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.