[3dem] 'easy' (re)calibration of pixelsize?

Wim Hagen hagen at embl.de
Mon Jan 3 07:37:29 PST 2022

Dear Tobias,

I tend to use Mag-I-Cal Si reflections. Especially on K2/K3 using superresolution, one can cover quite a large range of magnifications. I manually measure line profiles in FFT’s. For lower mags cross grating will do and if using SerialEM one can automatically acquire montages of cross gratings at higher mags, by binning things (say bin 4) this gives small enough image montages (see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__bio3d.colorado.edu_SerialEM_betaHlp_html_setting-5Fup-5Fserialem.htm-23isMacro&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=CrknpSTnW7KrFuhfE_Dg6HSt2s3CFl-AW0TDKyQuFX4xHHuHsPWEEu6TQZbmXPG8&s=Zi3qD-PZ3zhezKOy563ZAP38Ww-qywefumqOAU4Yxnc&e= ). Another option is using Thallous Chloride (commercially available) as its spacings allow easier calibration of especially lower magnifications. Be aware of linear distortions when calibrating, on Titan those should have been corrected by TFS,. On other scopes this is not possible and one can go bad up to a few percent depending on the direction measured in Fourier space. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__arxiv.org_abs_1501.05928&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=CrknpSTnW7KrFuhfE_Dg6HSt2s3CFl-AW0TDKyQuFX4xHHuHsPWEEu6TQZbmXPG8&s=ZEhoNtQ4YQj3U_R1QYWjrtKcAX5La9XCXK5YAjS1xIk&e=  and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov_pmc_articles_PMC6760661_&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=CrknpSTnW7KrFuhfE_Dg6HSt2s3CFl-AW0TDKyQuFX4xHHuHsPWEEu6TQZbmXPG8&s=Ypy3QqzH0ESreaQfpSYUpTIIYHRV2yomFpTy_jktfsU&e=  for more info.
I have tried Dave Mitchell's free DifTools plugin for DM (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.dmscripting.com_difftools.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=CrknpSTnW7KrFuhfE_Dg6HSt2s3CFl-AW0TDKyQuFX4xHHuHsPWEEu6TQZbmXPG8&s=o7ZArPcF1Vi8oySSUEJ-DKf_-iOaA-2AGINuPnnunGU&e= ) for the Mag-I-Cal images, sometimes it worked for me finding peaks in FFT's, but mostly not. Be aware that calibrating using the Cross Grating’s 463 nm repeat can be off a few percent, the metrology field made that clear to TEM vendors many years ago. In the end, for the typically used higher mags, I prefer a decent apoferritin grid, a handful of images, then let Relion or CRYOsparc give an accurate number assuming vendor specified Cs (see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__relion.readthedocs.io_en_release-2D3.1_Reference_PixelSizeIssues.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=CrknpSTnW7KrFuhfE_Dg6HSt2s3CFl-AW0TDKyQuFX4xHHuHsPWEEu6TQZbmXPG8&s=oTqu9nRhxUoY-LWFW9T-NcpkugJ1ub7JlrmeROQgPEo&e= ) , although one probably still finds “noise" on pixel size numbers over time….
Please keep us posted if you find some useful reliable software to make this process easier.

Best,

Wim Hagen
EMBL Heidelberg