[3dem] PostDoc and PhD cryo-EM positions at SciLifeLab - Stockholm University

Marta Carroni marta.carroni at scilifelab.se
Sat Feb 12 00:54:56 PST 2022

Dear all!
I am excited to announce that I am looking for a highly self-motivated postdoctoral scientist and an enthusiastic PhD candidate to join my newly-born research group at SciLifeLab in the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics (DBB) at Stockholm University (Sweden). The positions will be funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation and DBB-Stockholm University for a period of 5 years for the postdoctoral position and 4 years for the PhD position. The team will together investigate the regulation of AAA+ chaperones both in bacteria and in humans primarily using cryo-EM as a tool, complemented with biochemistry and fluorescence imaging.
The postdoctoral candidate should ideally come equipped with sound experience in protein purification and protein structure determination using single particle cryo-EM. Additional experience in cryo-electron tomography and sub-tomogram averaging or knowledge in x-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy and model building or prediction is a plus.
The PhD student should have a background in Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or similar, and be curious and interested to learn! Do you have a background in another STEM field but are motivated to learn to use cryo-EM as a tool to explore protein complexes? Still get in touch with me.
The team will work closely with members of the Cryo-EM Facility at SciLifeLab (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.scilifelab.se_units_cryo-2Dem_&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=siSg_KBnfRD5Ia7O5VeSTFc_pzbOSAs9PL9NIlme9mjQrAjg-d8pr-o2CdKLi9l3&s=FEd9dcxWBrvP-tm4w2pje8cG5kXyvUqj2EjWKlnFLO4&e=  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.scilifelab.se_units_cryo-2Dem_&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=siSg_KBnfRD5Ia7O5VeSTFc_pzbOSAs9PL9NIlme9mjQrAjg-d8pr-o2CdKLi9l3&s=FEd9dcxWBrvP-tm4w2pje8cG5kXyvUqj2EjWKlnFLO4&e= >, Stockholm, Sweden) and will have access to two Titan Krios (equipped with Gatan Bioquantum-K3 cameras and CetaD for electron diffraction), one Talos Arctica (Falcon 3 and K2) and a powerful GPU computer cluster.
SciLifeLab offers access to a number of other facilities such as super-resolution fluorescence microscopy, compound screening, NMR and structural mass spectrometry offering numerous possibilities to learn, explore cutting edge techniques, and collaborate with different experts.
If you are interested in joining this young team and for any informal enquiry, please contact me at marta.carroni at scilifelab.se <mailto:marta.carroni at scilifelab.se> by March 15, 2022.
Cheers, Marta

Marta Carroni,

Cell and Molecular Imaging Platform Director, SciLifeLab
Head of Unit, SciLifeLab CryoEM Facility
Dept. Biochemistry & Biophysics, Stockholm University
Tomtebodavägen 23 A, gamma2
17165, Solna
Sweden
Tel +468161013