[3dem] Cryo-EM scientist position available at Ernst-Ruska Centre Juelich

Sachse, Carsten c.sachse at fz-juelich.de
Mon Aug 22 04:44:46 PDT 2022

Dear all,

We are looking for a cryo-EM scientist to participate in method development at the Ernst-Ruska Centre in Juelich (Germany):
https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/careers/jobs/2022-124 <https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/careers/jobs/2022-124>

The Ernst Ruska-Centre for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons (ER-C) at the Forschungszentrum Jülich houses some of the world's most advanced electron microscopes and tools for nanocharacterisation. Our scientific research combines current issues in condensed matter physics and cryo-EM on biomacromolecules with the aim of advancing electron microscopy methods. Under one roof, the ER-C has a total of 15 electron microscopes including the PICO FEI Titan with a point resolution of 0.5 Å. The facility has been extended with state-of-the-art cryo-microscopes ThermoFisher Titan Krios, Talos Arctica both equipped with a Bioquantum K3 and Talos 120 as well as FIB-SEM Aquilos 2. At the Ernst Ruska-Centre for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons - Structural Biology (https://go.fzj.de/erc3-ibi6) we investigate the structural and molecular mechanism of membrane biology processes and push the development of cryo-EM related methodology. Our campus in Jülich hosts a vibrant electron microscopy, biophysics and structural biology community.

Your tasks can include:
- Develop new acquisition schemes and workflows based on novel hardware to advance low-dose cryo-EM techniques
- Improve sample handling workflows focusing on single-particle and/or tomography data collection combined with CLEM/FIB-SEM approaches
- Support data acquisition and evaluation for in-house and external users on novel hardware, with the following possible focus areas: 3D image processing of single-particle and/or tomography data and/or FIB-SEM operation for the preparation of cryo-FIB lamellae of vitrified cells
- Improving methodology for high-resolution cryo-EM structure determination at the ER-C-3 for structural biology

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,

Carsten
Prof. Dr. Carsten Sachse

Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH
Ernst-Ruska Centre for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons / ER-C-3 Structural Biology
Institute for Biological Information Processing / IBI-6 Cellular Structural Biology
Wilhem-Johnen-Straße, 52425 Jülich, Germany
https://go.fzj.de/erc3-ibi6
http://sachse.fz-juelich.de
https://twitter.com/SachseGroup
Phone: +49 2461 61 2030