[3dem] Extended deadline: Postdoctoral Researcher for cryo-EM studies of large protein complexes involved in cellular immunity

Brondijk, T.H.C. (Harma) t.h.c.brondijk at uu.nl
Fri Sep 17 02:21:34 PDT 2021

The structural biochemistry group of Piet Gros currently has a vacancy for a postdoctoral researcher to perform cryo-EM studies of large protein complexes involved in cellular immunity. The group has a long-standing track record at the frontiers of structural biology focusing on elucidating the molecular mechanisms that underlie biological processes with a major emphasis on human plasma-proteins and cell-surface receptors. The lab has an internationally strong reputation in uncovering the molecular mechanisms that underpin the complement system. We combine protein crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, light microscopy, biochemical and biophysical assays to get a detailed picture of the molecular interactions that enable the complement system to discriminate between healthy self-cells and pathogens or dying/malignant cells.

We currently offer the opportunity for a postdoctoral Researcher to join forces with us on an ERC funded project that investigates the correlation between levels of organisation within the membrane and complement efficacy. Most of the interactions we are looking into for this project are in the high nM to mM range and involve large flexible multi-domain proteins. So, the challenge for you will be to find conditions/tricks that capture the complex of interest in a state that enables detailed structural analyses.

We seek a highly motivated individual with a PhD in structural biology or a related field and proven experience in cryo-EM. To see the full advert and to apply please follow the link below to the university vacancy pages:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.uu.nl_en_organisation_working-2Dat-2Dutrecht-2Duniversity_jobs_postdoctoral-2Dresearcher-2Dfor-2Dcryo-2Dem-2Dstudies-2Dof-2Dlarge-2Dprotein-2Dcomplexes-2Dinvolved-2Din-2Dcellular-2Dimmunity&d=DwIFAg&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=BoZ571Wm_7wX8V8uC-T41WuRPkwWmFcFyeVtTTWB3dI&s=p78nUhIrXLuflyAjktA0fveQNLiEjB5Hwa-B0Rq8XtY&e=

Deadline for application is October 3rd 2021. For more information about the position please email Harma Brondijk: t.h.c.brondijk at uu.nl<mailto:t.h.c.brondijk at uu.nl>

Dr. T.H.C. Brondijk | Research Coordinator | Structural Biochemistry | Faculty of Science | Utrecht University | David de Wied building, Room 2.35 | Universiteitsweg 99, 3584 CG Utrecht || t.h.c.brondijk at uu.nl<mailto:t.h.c.brondijk at uu.nl> | Aanwezig: ma-vrij