[3dem] Fourier cropping to merge tomography datasets

McLaren, Mathew M.McLaren at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Sep 8 04:11:16 PDT 2021

Dear all,

I am working with two tomogram datasets collected using two separate Krios microscopes and I've been picking particles to perform STA. I have somewhat successfully processed these using Relion to a resolution of 20 A but I've been experimenting with emClarity in an attempt to improve it further. There is a small pixel size difference (4.377 A and 4.53 A), which I've previously accounted for by resizing the processed tomogram with the smaller pixel size through IMOD to match the larger one. I was looking for a different approach to this as I realise that this is probably a terrible way to combine two datasets!

For emClarity I need to work with the tilt series, so I was thinking that I should do a (non-integer) fourier crop the tilts from one dataset so they match with the other, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the best way to do this? Also, would this invalidate the alignments performed in IMOD and require me to reprocess the tilt series?

Cheers,

Mat

Dr Mathew McLaren

TEM Experimental Officer