[3dem] [EXTERNAL] K3 problem during warming up

Craig Yoshioka craigyk at me.com
Thu Oct 14 13:58:36 PDT 2021

Yes we see both quite a bit, the errors messages during annealing are sporadic- we ignore them for the most part.

The other error is just a good old fashioned DM crash.  Sometime you can narrow it down to a specific action that caused it, other times it remains a mystery.  One thing I can note is that DM often does not gracefully handle being told to do something from SerialEM while the camera is active in DM.  Another is that switching between CDS and non-CDS mode, especially from SerialEM, is a bit of a gamble, perhaps the camera re-initializtion is too variable to reliably wait for.  In the past I’ve also seen some issues related to the GPU frame alignment in the SerialEM DM plugin- but I have not seen this in very long while- then again we only enable frame alignment in SerialEM when we are screening or setting up data collection.