[3dem] liquid nitrogen supply lines

Thomas Cleveland thomas.cleveland at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 12:03:02 PDT 2021

Hi David,

I'm not an expert at cryo engineering so take this with a grain of salt,
but I looked into this a while back for our facility and can share what I
remember (we still haven't implemented anything, so I can't say from
experience).

>From information I found online, it seems that copper piping is OK for
liquid nitrogen, and has actually been used that way for a long time. There
are a few special points, e.g. the joints need to be silver brazed, not
soldered, to deal with temperature contraction. Traditionally, closed-cell
urethane foam with a PVC outer jacket (as a vapor shield) was used to
insulate cryogenic copper pipes. However, supposedly the repeated chill
cycles cause this insulation to break down somewhat and lose performance
over a few years. Whether this is a huge problem for you probably depends
on how long your pipes are and how expensive your nitrogen supply is. A
more modern and lower-maintenance (but more expensive) insulation method is
to use vacuum-insulated lines, but I think this goes back to the stainless
steel you were trying to avoid...

Best,
Tom