[3dem] Post-doctoral position in the Akey lab at Boston University School of Medicine

Akey, Christopher W cakey at bu.edu
Wed May 12 09:47:13 PDT 2021

Structural EM community -

The Akey laboratory in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics at Boston University

School of Medicine has an open position for a post-doctoral associate in cryo-electron

microscopy that is funded by an NIH grant for 3 years. Research in the group is focused on

the structure and function of protein translocation machines, including the bacterial

ribosome-SecY channel complex and the Nuclear Pore Complex. In these studies, 3D single

particle and tomographic, sub-volume averaging methods are used to elucidate the structure

of  these remarkable translocation machines: For an overview see:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.bumc.bu.edu/phys-biophys/profile/christopher-akey/__;!!Mih3wA!U98Ds4FQwCusxV_7SPYWg_3yO6o732vwP60Z26g-tiqzmovkGmMPw77a6aIt5-IPjA$ ).

Our research is highly collaborative and once suitable samples are prepared at our cryo-EM

facility, data are collected remotely at National cryo-EM beamlines for analysis on our groups'

in-house gpu-cpu cluster.

The successful candidate will have a Ph.D.  with expertise in Biophysics, Computational or

Structural Biology; prior experience in cryo-EM, while a plus, is not required.

To apply, please send a cover letter, CV and contact information for 3 references to:

cakey at bu.edu.

Recent publications:

NPC consortium:

Kim SJ, Fernandez-Martinez J, Nudelman I, Shi Y, et al. (2018). Integrative structure and

functional anatomy of a Nuclear Pore Complex. Nature. 555:475-482.

doi: 10.1038/nature26003. Epub 2018 Mar 14. PMID: 29539637

Akey research group:

Cheng, T.C., Akey, I.V., Yuan, S., Yu, Z., Ludtke, S.J. and Akey, C.W. (2017). A near

atomic structure of the Dark apoptosome provides insight into assembly and activation.

Structure 25:40-52. doi: 10.1016/j.str.2016.11.002. PMID: 27916517

Cheng, T.C., Hong, C., Akey, I.V., Yuan, S. and Akey, C.W. (2016). A near atomic structure of

the active human apoptosome. Elife. Oct 4;5. pii: e17755. doi: 10.7554/eLife.17755.

PMID: 27697150

Park, E., Ménétret, J. F., Gumbart, J.C., Ludtke, S.J., Li, W., Whynot, A., Rapoport, T. A., and

Akey, C. W. (2014). Structure of the SecY channel during initiation of protein translocation.

Nature 506, 102-106. PMID: 24153188

Pubmed: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=akey*cw&sort=date&size=100__;Kw!!Mih3wA!U98Ds4FQwCusxV_7SPYWg_3yO6o732vwP60Z26g-tiqzmovkGmMPw77a6aLREz-j9A$

            Structural Electron Microscopy Group
Christopher W. Akey, Professor
Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics
Boston Univ. School of Medicine
700 Albany St.
Boston, Mass. 02118-2526
​
office: 617 358 4451 lab: 8-4450 Computer room: 8-8458
 cakey at bu.edu