[3dem] Online CryoEM Study Group

Geoffrey Woollard geoff.woollard at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue May 11 07:41:15 PDT 2021

Would you like to know more about cryoEM math and theory to more deeply
understand data processing algorithms and intelligently apply them to your
own data, or develop novel methods of your own?

Do you want to do this together with others?

Since November I've run a weekly online cryoEM math and theory study group.
The goal of this labour of love is to fill a need that is not being met
elsewhere by the many fantastic cryoEM workshops, conferences, and polished
talks.

I'd like to extend a warm invitation to our weekly meetings on Thursdays.
The next meeting will be a master class on preferred orientations with Drs.
Yong Zi Tan and Philip Baldwin at 12 PM Eastern, 13 May 2021.

Please register here <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/AebctCKsFbUKC91F7__;!!Mih3wA!QuOcMeP_QvKRRCdZxAqVN6ib_UUtFgZZwkPwei2JsFP02MqOK6yGOhgM4iAXRiMwDg$ >
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://utoronto.zoom.us/j/82777473216__;!!Mih3wA!QuOcMeP_QvKRRCdZxAqVN6ib_UUtFgZZwkPwei2JsFP02MqOK6yGOhgM4iBhQYGy2Q$
Meeting ID: 827 7747 3216
Passcode: 826439

Have a look at our syllabus
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/geoffwoollard/learn_cryoem_math/blob/master/cryoem-group-study-meeting/meeting.pdf__;!!Mih3wA!QuOcMeP_QvKRRCdZxAqVN6ib_UUtFgZZwkPwei2JsFP02MqOK6yGOhgM4iBD66h1YQ$ >,
which includes past and upcoming
* journal clubs on recent papers (sometimes with the authors)
* flipped classroom for discussing online lecture material (Jensen's Getting
Started in Cryo-EM
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8_xPU5epJdctoHdQjpfHmd_z9WvGxK8-__;!!Mih3wA!QuOcMeP_QvKRRCdZxAqVN6ib_UUtFgZZwkPwei2JsFP02MqOK6yGOhgM4iCzIKVwGQ$ >
course, Sigworth & Tagare's Cryo-EM Principles
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cryoemprinciples.yale.edu/__;!!Mih3wA!QuOcMeP_QvKRRCdZxAqVN6ib_UUtFgZZwkPwei2JsFP02MqOK6yGOhgM4iA7jZVh8w$ >)
* an informal online office hours to troubleshoot your problems
* simple Python code of toy examples to train conceptual understanding
* deep dives into electron optics textbooks

Hope to see you soon!

Geoff