[3dem] cryo TEM holder for autogrids and ThermoFisher/FEI

Israel Fernandez israel.elotro at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 04:30:51 PDT 2021

Hi,
I have some experience with the ELSA holder but not the configuration
compatible with autogrids but the "classical" pinned washer on top of the
grid. The holder was used in a F20 with a K2 and it behaved really well. It
took some time to readjust yourself to the large liquid nitrogen tank that
forces you to have a peculiar grab on it  but after some vacuum crashes you
find a way to get it in nicely. After one hour or so with the holder in,
you can collect 6-8 hours without refilling and most importantly, with
minimal drift for a side entry instrument. I also liked the simple and
straightforward system to warm the holder up and run the baking cycle.
Overall, great experience.

El mié, 9 jun 2021 a las 7:52, Tobias Furstenhaupt (<furstenh at mpi-cbg.de>)
escribió:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> So far we have two 626 Gatan cryoholders but we now look for a new cryo
> holder for our side-entry Cryo TEM (Titan Halo) to image autogrids. To my
> knowledge there are two companies offering those holders in the new
> 'toroid' design with temperature holding time of about 10h:
>
> - Gatan with its "Elsa" holder for one or three autogrids
> - Simple Origins Model 200 for two autogrids
>
> does anybody of you know other sources? Do you have any experiences with
> the the Elsa or 200? We tested the latter for two weeks and it works as
> promised without problems.
>
> cheers
> Tobias
>

> -----------------------------------
> Tobias Fürstenhaupt, PhD
> head of Electron Microscopy
> Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MPI-CBG)
> Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
> 01307 Dresden, Germany
>
> mail: furstenh at mpi-cbg.de
> phone: (+49) (0)351 210-2690
> cell: (+49) (0)176 / 44498706 (NEW!)

Israel S Fernandez
Columbia University, New York City, NY, USA