[3dem] Postdoc positions for SPA/cryo-ET at NIH

Naoko Mizuno naoko.mizuno at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 20:01:07 PDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Two postdoctoral research positions are available immediately in the
Mizuno lab at the NHLBI, NIH.
Our lab aims to understand the molecular mechanisms governing
specialized cell shape formations, such as those of neurons, activated
immune cells, and cancer cells. The lab started in 2012 at the Max
Planck Institute of Biochemistry in Germany and relocated to the NIH
in 2020. We visualize key factors determining different cell
morphologies using a combination of interdisciplinary techniques such
as in vitro reconstitution, biochemical characterization, biophysical
analysis, light microscopy, single-particle cryo-EM and in situ
cellular cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET). We are seeking to recruit
motivated scientists who would be interested in
1) in vitro reconstitution of the focal adhesion machinery to
understand mechano-sensing activities using cryo-EM or
2) cellular cryo-ET to describe the molecular mechanisms of neuronal
development.
The positions are partially supported by our recently funded Chen
Zuckerberg initiative for Visual Proteomics.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__chanzuckerberg.com_science_programs-2Dresources_imaging_frontiers_correlative-2Dcryo-2Delectron-2Dtomography-2Dpipeline-2Dof-2Dplasma-2Dmembrane-2Dcomplexes_&d=DwIBaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=qkiQ9t41DOwnNKZQEO8VNDjxsiIg6a72wzw5eOMyPEU&s=cLZHkKLZshwVMyF0jFEMJkFdbFVdbEELNFoLwyz3MuU&e=

Our lab is located at the NIH main campus in Bethesda, Maryland,
suburbs of Washington, DC. The lab has abundant access to
state-of-the-art facilities for high-end cryo-electron microscopy
(Titan Krios, Glacios, Aquilos2 cryo-FIB and Leica Thunder CLEM) as
well as for biophysics, biochemistry, proteomics and light microcopy.

Please consult the laboratory website for further information
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.nhlbi.nih.gov_science_laboratory-2Dstructural-2Dcell-2Dbiology&d=DwIBaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=qkiQ9t41DOwnNKZQEO8VNDjxsiIg6a72wzw5eOMyPEU&s=fez8jSk2ms33Dlz4IuHsEw2yCdix9GwLJ5sfv1VJC3o&e=

Interested candidates should send their cover letter, CV and contact
information for 3 references to naoko.mizuno at nih.gov.