[3dem] Cryo Storage

Watt, John Daniel watt at lanl.gov
Thu Jan 21 08:19:01 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

We are seeking good solutions for ice-free storage of vitrified samples. We use a Vitrobot and front loading TEMs only, so no autogrids. Currently we place the grids in a plastic sample puck, then into a 50 mL Falcon tube and store in a Worthington 35LDB LN2 dewar. We see some frosting of the polystyrene lid, but dry this periodically to minimize frost. Our lab is controlled to 40 % humidity, which unfortunately we cannot change.

Are there any good off-the-shelf solutions for ice-free storage that we are missing?

Many thanks,

John Watt, PhD

Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies

Los Alamos National Laboratory