[3dem] Open Postdoctoral Position at the CryoEM Facility at CSSB Hamburg

Carolin Seuring carolin.seuring at cssb-hamburg.de
Thu Aug 19 05:30:04 PDT 2021

Location: Centre for Structural Systems Biology (CSSB), Notkestr.85, Hamburg, Germany
Website: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cssb-2Dhamburg.de_facilities_cryo-5Fem_index-5Feng.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=0YTse93MaXGVeja3kFObVLZb5waFPjbpET_Vs1fdyRw&s=h1TleGrOKCWzgaJ5YAk3c7xPsOoyd1ep1xzh7YMxyq8&e=  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cssb-2Dhamburg.de_facilities_cryo-5Fem_index-5Feng.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=0YTse93MaXGVeja3kFObVLZb5waFPjbpET_Vs1fdyRw&s=h1TleGrOKCWzgaJ5YAk3c7xPsOoyd1ep1xzh7YMxyq8&e= >
We have an opening for a postdoctoral scholar on the collaborative project ‘’Freezing Dynamic Structures of Macromolecules in Time’’ funded by the Cluster of Excellence: 'Advanced Imaging of Matter' (photon and nanosciences).
This is a joint project between the Multi-User CryoEM facility at the Centre of Structural Systems Biology (Carolin Seuring) and the groups of Sasa Bajt, Henry Chapman, Kay Grünewald, Jochen Küpper, and Thomas Marlovits.

In this project, we aim to develop a novel approach to time-resolved cryo-EM imaging by combining XFEL based sample delivery technologies with plunge freezing - with the aim to expand the field for new studies at sub-millisecond time-scales thus providing more information about biomolecular dynamics and functions.

Requirement:
* a university/doctoral degree in physics, biophysics, chemistry, material science or alternatively a similar work experience

You would ideally full-fill one or more of the following attributes:
* experience in cryo-EM sample preparation or jet-based sample delivery systems
* a track record in cryo-EM sample preparation or other sample delivery e.g. liquid jets
* strong interest in instrumentation development
* teamplayer - with the ability to work independently and show initiative
* experience of cryo-EM data collection and analysis would be beneficial but is not essential

What you would do:
* support the development of fast sample vitrification in close collaboration with research groups at CSSB and CFEL
* development of a feedback mechanism to assure reproducible cryoEM grid quality
* complement the experiment with modelling of the freezing process / exploration of parameter space
* enjoy the development process and help the growth of the time-resolved community on campus

This position comes with a two-year contract with a competitive salary, and the opportunity to live and work in the free and hanseatic city of Hamburg. The position is housed at the Centre for Structural Systems Biology and associated with the Multi-User CryoEM Facility on the vibrant DESY campus (Notkestr.85, 22761 Hamburg, Germany). The successful candidate will become a fellow of the Cluster  'Advanced Imaging of Matter’ (CUI) and will receive additional training and mentorship support from all collaborating groups, as well as technical support during the course of the project.

Application deadline: 12 September 2021. The position is immediately available.

To apply, please send your application via email to: <carolin.seuring at cssb-hamburg.de <mailto:thomas.lane at desy.de>> including:
a cover letter, a curriculum vitae and contact details of two references, copies of degree certificates.

The job description is posted here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.uni-2Dhamburg.de_stellenangebote_ausschreibung.html-3FjobID-3Dfaeda6dd35145f90077e1b6d4f95492d97bd08a8&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=0YTse93MaXGVeja3kFObVLZb5waFPjbpET_Vs1fdyRw&s=NCZkrcgzAog85ZJlpDeXstFRuWOsD1MbqlIA7SNZhN4&e=  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.uni-2Dhamburg.de_stellenangebote_ausschreibung.html-3FjobID-3Dfaeda6dd35145f90077e1b6d4f95492d97bd08a8&d=DwIFaQ&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=0YTse93MaXGVeja3kFObVLZb5waFPjbpET_Vs1fdyRw&s=NCZkrcgzAog85ZJlpDeXstFRuWOsD1MbqlIA7SNZhN4&e= >