[3dem] failed RAID/SSD on K3 server

Hutchison, Matt (NIH/NCI) [C] thomas.hutchison at nih.gov
Mon Aug 16 18:33:56 PDT 2021

You can install the MegaRAID storage manager (available from the manufacturer here https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.supermicro.com_wdl_driver_SAS_LSI_Tools_MegaRAID-5FStorage-5FManager_&d=DwIF-g&c=-35OiAkTchMrZOngvJPOeA&r=L7-zyQ-04fFCMRqzLIOnx7H0exGZHwIQe_wMPuY600I&m=aZE7e7cwa66Fd05l__oUa5KZ505VynKnL0nglz-MQtI&s=zD0gX0Vcj7NervgFhykk4fQ2HJ2dJBRnJR20ByFwi_8&e= ) and diagnose it through the GUI or use the native raid tools in the boot menu.

We found that both of our K3 servers occasionally would eject a disk from the RAID0 array because it lost connection briefly (which results in it being marked as Unconfigured Bad in the manager and no longer presenting the array to Windows as a valid drive).  If the drive hasn't actually failed and was only momentarily lost then data on it may be recoverable, but you only get one chance to fix it correctly.

Matt Hutchison (contractor)

Software Developer

Frederick National Laboratory

301-360-3483