[3dem] remote microscopy question

Xu, Chen Chen.Xu at umassmed.edu
Wed Sep 30 09:03:43 PDT 2020

Hi David and all,

There are many computer experts on this list, they might be able to comment more on the network issue.

To my understanding, RAPID is a special configuration of a VNC. When it doesn't work, sometimes it is hard to find out the reason. We had it working for some time but then it did not; there was no change as we know for network/firewall etc..

The Support-PC is a gateway and firewall machine, it also has port forwarding function so you can reach inner IPs from support PC itself. We don't use support PC at all, all of our control computers are on the private subnetwork and we can control to only open some ports that are needed.

Using which remote control software is more or less a personal preference. However, there are some security concerns from IT point of view. Thus, your local IT team should be notified about what you are using. There is also license content we should pay attention, a free version might not be fine in working situation. For example, TeamViewer's free, personal version cannot be used in most of processional cases.

Regards,
-Chen