[3dem] EM status monitor

Thorsten Mielke mielke at molgen.mpg.de
Tue Mar 17 14:09:08 PDT 2020

Dear David:

relatively simple and without any costs: Install a vnc client (tightvnc,
...) on your Microscope PC and a vnc server (standard linux on most
Linux) on a PC/Server, which you can access from home via vpn. Find a
way for forwarding the screen output (ask your IT). In my case, I am
running cygwin with X-components (fully free) on a W10 Notebook, connect
via vpn and ssh (X-forwarding enabled) to an Linux server in the
institute. From there, I start the vncserver and connect to the
microscope PC operated in a separate private network. Works pretty well
and allows to check the status of the scope and even to operate it
remotely.

Best,

Thorsten

On 17.03.2020 21:31, David Pérez-Morga wrote:
> Hello,
> As you probably know we’re in lockdown in Belgium due to Covid-19 and
> we’ve limited access to our EM facility. Do you know of a gadget, spy
> application or other possibilities to monitor from home the status of
> our dear microscopes, and be adverted via a cell phone in case of
> trouble (current, pressure, etc) ?
> Thanks
> David
>
> David Pérez-Morga
>
> IBMM-Université Libre de Bruxelles
> CMMI-Université Libre de Bruxelles

Dr. Thorsten Mielke
- Head Microscopy and Cryo-Electron Microscopy Group -

Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics
Ihnestr. 63-73
D-14195 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30 8413-1644
Fax: +49-(0)30 8413-1385