[3dem] Tecnai T12 Camera config

Mike Strauss mike.strauss at mcgill.ca
Thu Jul 30 12:12:39 PDT 2020

Hi Krishna,

My guess is you will not be able to upgrade the microscope operating system. Tecnai instruments are sadly destined to die with windows xp.  In most cases, that means limited file sizes, limited RAM, and limited networking possibilities.   This also means Ceta cameras (by TFS) are not an option - since I am told they require Win7 at least.

If you’re upgrading your camera, make sure it comes with its own PC, which you can make modern, fancy and useful. TVIPS XF416 or Gatan OneView cameras would both give you great images, quick response, and at reasonable prices (compared with Direct Detectors). Both of these systems can be used with SerialEM (and probably Leginon, though I don’t know much about it) so you can use your own scripts, write your own plugins, and extract the microscope information you want to keep track of. SerialEM has a plugin to do frame alignment as you collect, so there’s no need to store frames. It also means you’d be doing the image processing, networking, data storage, and sending instructions to the microscope (via microscope PC) from a computer with better specs than the microscope PC, so it’s less likely to freeze.

Good luck.

Mike Strauss

--------
Prof. Mike Strauss