[3dem] [ccpem] Relion 3.1 CtfRefine anisotropic magnification

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 21 22:37:23 PST 2020

Hi Omid,

We recently had a very complicated case of reference bias: using a
rotationally-symmetric reference image to pick spherical viruses sounds a
logical thing to do does'nt it? However, it actually caused the data set to
split into two: We got two 3D reconstructions differing in size by 0.9%.
It took me more than a week to understand that that disparity was caused
primarily by the picking of elliptical particles (2.6% anisotropic
magnification) using a rotationally-symmetric reference. It was a very
tricky case of reference bias...  So don't expect me to explain the nitty
gritty details in less than 10 lines of email. Bottom line: our correction
algorithm (see paper) took fully care of it.  The underlying problem was
that we had not seriously looked at anisotropy due to an entirely different
issue that obscured the data: our Cs-corrected Krios suffered from wild
unpredictable astigmatism fluctuations during data collection (up to 1
micron!), for almost three months. Only after that issue was resolved did I
even try to measure anisotropic magnification.
Hope this helps,

Marin