[3dem] [ccpem] Relion 3.1 CtfRefine anisotropic magnification

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 17 08:54:07 PST 2020

Dear Omid,

Anisotropic magnification should be corrected first, even before any CTF
determination, since its presence messes up the defocus/astigmatism
assessment. The anisotropic magnification measurement is best/conveniently
performed on the movie data itself. It does not require any separate
calibration measurements since the water ring information is always present
in large cryo-EM datasets, and those contain all the necessary anisotropy
information. The Imagic procedures allow you to a posteriori correct
anistropic magnification even in "legacy" cryo-EM datasets. Depending on
how you perform the correction, the average pixel size may change, and
consistency is important. It is not a good idea to do this anisotropic
magnification correction as an "afterthought" at the late stages of
refinement since it may bias other intermediate processing steps like
particle picking.
We have described the procedure extensively in:

 Afanasyev P, Seer-Linnemayr C, Ravelli RBG, Matadeen R, De Carlo S,
Alewijnse B, Portugal RV, Pannu NS, Schatz M, van Heel M: *Single-particle
cryo-EM using alignment by classification (ABC): the structure of Lumbricus
terrestris hemoglobin*, *IUCrJ. **4* (2017) 678-694.

Hope this helps,

Marin van Heel