[3dem] EMDB-10k and EMPIAR re-use case study

Gerard DVD Kleywegt gerard at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Feb 11 09:03:44 PST 2020

Hi all,

As many of you will have noticed, last week EMDB reached the milestone of
10,000 released entries. To celebrate this we have produced a poster that you
can download here: https://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe/emdb/emdb_10000.html It will
also be distributed at several cryo-EM meetings this year, so keep an eye out
for it.

On the occasion of EMDB-10k, Nature published a news article yesterday:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00341-9

The companion archive EMPIAR, where you can deposit the raw data underpinning
your EMDB structures, is also growing (although the milestone we're looking
forward to there is a "mere" 1,000 entries, or one petabyte, whichever comes
first!). We have looked into the re-use of one particular dataset, the (at the
time) 2.2Å beta-galactosidase data from Sriram Subramaniam's lab
(EMPIAR-10061). Although the number of published re-uses is modest, each and
every one of them is significant as they contributed to methods development.
In addition, we are aware that many of you have re-solved the structure using
this EMPIAR dataset. If you know of additional re-uses, perhaps unpublished,
we would love to hear from you!

You can read the case study here: https://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe/emdb/empiar/reuse

The rapid growth of both EMDB and EMPIAR shows the maturity of the cryo-EM
field and its community, and we would like to thank you all for depositing
your raw and processed data (and your models, of course)!

(For stats and plots regarding the growth of these two archives, see:
https://emdb-empiar.org/emstats )

--Gerard, Ardan and the EMDB and EMPIAR teams

---
Gerard J. Kleywegt, EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, UK
Head of Molecular and  Cellular Structure
gerard at ebi.ac.uk pdbe.org emdb-empiar.org
PA: Roisin Dunlop    pdbe_admin at ebi.ac.uk