[3dem] Fwd: Professor Alexander S. SPIRIN passed away

SERGEY RYAZANTSEV sryazant at ucla.edu
Wed Dec 30 21:55:12 PST 2020

It is sad news that academician Alexander Spirin, great Russian biochemist,
has passed away. In 1967 in USSR he established the "Institute of Protein
Research," dedicated to unveil the mystery of protein biosynthesis where
the RIBOSOME plays a key role. Alexander Spirin was Director of the
Institute until recently. Under his leadership, the Institute became a
first-class research institution with many scholars who are now working in
many prestigious universities and institutes across the globe. The first
ribosomal crystals from Thermus thermophilus were obtained at the Institute
of Protein Research. Alexander Spirin scholar, Marat Yusupov, solved the
ribosomal crystal structure later in France, but unique methods of ribosome
purification were established at the Institute in Garber Lab. Many, many
researchers from Spirin's Institute left the "nest" and are working in
world-class institutions across the globe. We are all sad that a great
scientist and visionary Alexander Spirin is not with us. Our condolences to
the family and the Institute, Spirin's creation. Be science with you.
Sergey Ryazantsev
on behalf of many scientists from the Institute working now in the USA.