[3dem] postdoc position at MIT

Thomas Schwartz tus at mit.edu
Wed Dec 2 11:52:26 PST 2020

Postdoctoral positions at MIT to study Nucleo-Cytoplasmic Communication
The Schwartz lab at the Biology Department of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is seeking two postdocs to work on federally funded projects elucidating structure and function of nucleo-cytoplasmic communication.
One project involves the structure of the nuclear pore complex (NPC), in particular with the goal to reduce the resolution gap between crystal structures of NPC components and cryo-ET assembly structures. We work at the interface of bio-engineering and structural biology to solve this problem with innovative methods.
The second project centers on the mechanical connections between nucleo- and cytoskeleton via LINC complexes. Here, we want to understand the details for LINC complex engagement, with the lamin layer and with actin filaments, in particular.
For both projects, the lab has a vast array of reagents, tools, and expertise to build on.
MIT has a brand-new, state-of-the-art, fully-staffed cryo-EM facility equipped with a Talos Arctica and a Titan Krios with energy filter and phase plate. Both instruments have direct detectors. There is also ample access to two cryo-FIB mills on campus.
We seek highly motivated individuals with a passion for structural cell biology. A Ph.D. degree in the life sciences with a significant cryo-EM component is required. Candidates should send a CV and names of 3 references to Thomas Schwartz at tus at mit.edu<mailto:tus at mit.edu>.
Recent references:
Nordeen et al., Nat Comm 2020<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19884-6__;!!Mih3wA!WFooAwZsfi_hCqcVKOa0CeQpE3bb8kh_d_Ij-Wbb3ihw_HUcpu3WdKnrzWVwapxlGw$ >
Nordeen et al., Nat Comm 2020<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19885-5__;!!Mih3wA!WFooAwZsfi_hCqcVKOa0CeQpE3bb8kh_d_Ij-Wbb3ihw_HUcpu3WdKnrzWVzjjQSPA$ >
Lim et al., bioRxiv 2020<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.06.19.161299__;!!Mih3wA!WFooAwZsfi_hCqcVKOa0CeQpE3bb8kh_d_Ij-Wbb3ihw_HUcpu3WdKnrzWXOR7-Ngg$ >