[3dem] Jeol F200 warranty

Guenter Resch lists at nexperion.net
Thu Oct 3 00:20:47 PDT 2019

Hi Indrajit,

> At our institute we are trying to set up a Jeol F200 microscope with a
> Gatan OneView camera for cryo-EM screening purposes. For automated data
> collection we wanted to install SerialEM. However, when I contacted Jeol
> India to discuss the issue they mentioned that if we use SerialEM then they
> will void the warranty on the microscope. Have any of you been told from
> Jeol that using SerialEM (or any other third party data collection
> software) will result in the warranty getting voided? Any help or
> suggestion in this regard will really help us a lot.

For this configuration, you would not install any additional software on the JEOL microscope computer, but only on the Gatan PC. A JEOL module installed there called TEM Ext will in turn enable communication with the microscope. Considering this, I really don't see why there could be a problem with warranty.

As the other posters already mentioned, there is numerous comparable installations (also provided by JEOL!), and yes, I suggest you speak with Jaap, who I am adding in Cc.

Best regards,

	Guenter

--
Dr. Guenter Resch