[3dem] 2nd Vienna cryo EM symposium and cryo EM winter school 2020

Haselbach,David david.haselbach at imp.ac.at
Mon Nov 25 07:03:03 PST 2019

Dear all,

we are happy to announce the second Vienna Biocenter cryo EM Symposium taking place on February 14th 2020 in the Institute of Molecular Pathology in Vienna. This is a one day event, with eight invited speakers that will present exciting new cryo EM structures from many different biological areas. Additionally participants will have the possibility to present their own work in a poster session and two speaker will be chosen to give a talk.
The invited speakers are:

Alexey Amunts (Stockholm University)
             Nenad Ban (ETH)
             Franziska Bleichert (Yale)
             Sebastian Falk (Max Perutz Laboratories)
             Rafael Leiro (CNIO)
Clemens Plaschka (IMP)
              Helen Saibil (Birkbeck)
             Brenda Schulman (MPI bc)

Registration deadline for the symposium is 6th of January 2020.  All registration details and abstracts can be changed until then.
For the symposium we have a registration fee of 50 Euro for academic participants and a fee of 100 Euro for participants from industry.
Further information and registration:  https://www.viennabiocenter.org/about/events/cryoem-symposium/

Directly following the symposium we will have the Vienna cryo EM Winter school from 15th of February till 20th of February 2020. This will be a one-week event teaching cryo EM for beginners by several experts:

Frank DiMaio (University of Washington)
Benjamin Engel (Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen)
Christos Gatsogiannis (MPI Dortmund)
David Haselbach (IMP)
Thomas Juffmann (Max Perutz Laboratories)
Anton Meinhart (IMP)
Clemens Plaschka (IMP)
Christopher Russo (LMB)
Sjors Scheres (LMB, via webinar)
Florian Schur (IST Austria)

We will cover everything from sample preparation to map interpretation. However the course is limited to 25 participants and thus we require a letter of motivation including a short CV as application. The costs for the course are 250 Euro for academics and 1000 Euro for industrial participation
(Travel and accommodation not included and have to be arranged separately.) There are grants available to waive this fee. Please specify in your motivation letter if you would like to apply for such a grant. Symposium and workshop are separate events but we want to encourage workshop participants to participate also in the symposium.

Further information and registration through the same website:  https://www.viennabiocenter.org/about/events/cryoem-symposium/
If you have further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us directly: cryoemsymp at viennabiocenter.org<mailto:cryoemsymp at viennabiocenter.org>

kind regards,

David Haselbach, Thomas Heuser, Thomas Juffmann and Clemens Plaschka