[3dem] ctf-fitting with phase plate

Daniel Asarnow asarnow at msg.ucsf.edu
Sat Mar 23 12:51:34 PDT 2019

Hi Philip,
It's just an additional phase added to the argument of the sine and cosine
(amplitude contrast) functions in the CTF. See e.g. Eqn 2. in the CTFFIND4
paper <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1047847715300460>.
It is not dependent on spatial frequency - every frequency gets the same
additional phase shift due to the plate. Here is a gist
<https://gist.github.com/asarnow/b47c7f1c7aab1d292c10a8c03dd1b6b8> of a
Python function for evaluating the CTF, which is much the same as those in
Relion or cisTEM.

I'm not sure if anyone knows the sign of the accumulated charge, but I
imagine electrons are deposited and the charge is negative. Maybe someone
else here has a better physically intuitive argument one way or the other.

Best,
-da