[3dem] Leica plunger users

Denis Chrétien denis.chretien at univ-rennes1.fr
Wed Jun 19 12:55:31 PDT 2019

> The one I have in my possession now did not cool down to 4C for nearly 3 hrs,

We have now been using the EM GP for several years. At 4 °C, we faced problems of ice cristallisation blocking the trap and arm systems. It was « solved » by Leica engineers by increasing the lower temperature that the device can reach (I don’t remember, between 5 and 7 °C). This setting can be modified in the service menu if you have the code. One way to overcome this problem if it happens is to increase the temperature for a short time so that the ice melts and then come back to 4 °C (after removing water…). Don’t let the water accumulate and remove it periodically.

> and the humidity was going up and down.

Same problem from time to time … One way we overcome this problem is to unscrew the water tank so that air can circulate more freely inside the device.

> Is it the normal behaviour?

I won’t say « normal », but yes it can behaves like that :-(

> Also, what is the good regime for protein solutions blotting? Could it be compared to Vitrobot?

No comparison, I never used a Vitrobot. Nevertheless, what’s very cool with the Leica is the temperature control of the liquid ethane. We set it to -184 °C and it can last hours at this temperature without refilling.

Hope that helps, waiting also for the feedback of other users,

Denis