[3dem] LaB6 to cryo - upgrade suggestions

Andrei Moiseenko postmoiseenko at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:25:03 PDT 2019

Dear all,

I consider upgrading my microscope to a cryo-em. My purpose is to use it as
a screening device and also for low-resolution single particle data
acquisition. But I am not sure if our configuration can possibly fit this
purpose, so I'm seeking for an advise.

What we already have:

1.       JEOL JEM-2100: 200kV, Cs 1.4, Сс 1.8, LaB6 gun

2.       Anticontaminator: JEOL cryo-fin (not a twin-blade style).

3.       Pretty fine Thon rings up to 5A at -1mkm defocus

4.       Three condenser lenses, nice parallel illumination

5.       Stable 1.0-1.1 eV electron energy spread, measured from EELS ZLP

6.       Already set up single particle acquisition with serialEM for
negative stained samples.

What we consider to get:

1.       Direct Electron DE-20 instead of a 2k CCD

2.       Gatan cryo-transfer holder.

I would appreciate any opinion on this upgrade. Does it seem reasonable or
not?

I will also be very grateful for any suggestions about highest possible
resolution on such a system and about any important limitations that we
should be aware of.

Best regards,
Andrey Moiseenko

Electron Microscopy Lab @ Biology Department