[3dem] Edge bitmap curvature analysis

Ludtke, Steven J. sludtke at bcm.edu
Mon Jul 29 12:51:50 PDT 2019

Hi George,
It's no problem, and a lot of image processing people do read this list, but it is mainly focused on CryoEM and CryoET. Both of these produce very noisy data, on which edge detection algorithms often don't work well (or at all).  You may find some people in this list with comments on your specific question, particularly from those doing freeze-substitution and other higher contrast lower resolution methods.

For myself (EMAN2), for discrete edges like binary masks, we sometimes use standard methods such as erosion or dilation for expansion/contraction. However, for a smoother edge following effect, our typical approach is to binarize the mask (if it isn't already) apply an isotropic low-pass filter, then threshold the filter at a lower level. By adjusting the thresholding level and filter shape a range of different 'curve following' effects can be achieved. Certainly there are many different approaches which can be used. By and large we have eschewed the sort of processing where shapes are explicitly identified, due to the noise levels.

There is a tool in EMAN2 called e2filtertool.py in which you can build chains of image processing operations and interactively adjust the parameters (both 2-D and 3-D data). You can use this to experiment with any of the methods we have implemented (~230 algorithms at last count, ranging from very simple, to very complicated).  We also have a set of programs for deep-learning based segmentation, which can often do some surprising things.

cheers

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <sludtke at bcm.edu<mailto:sludtke at bcm.edu>>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology                      (www.bcm.edu/biochem<http://www.bcm.edu/biochem>)
Academic Director, CryoEM Core                                        (cryoem.bcm.edu<http://cryoem.bcm.edu>)
Co-Director CIBR Center                                    (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr<http://www.bcm.edu/research/cibr>)