[3dem] Advice: Make/model entry-level microscope and planned applications

Clara Kielkopf ckielkop at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 07:01:22 PDT 2019

Hello, I'm seeking advice for University of Rochester Medical
Center's planned purchase and administration of an entry-level microscope,
for which the primary purpose would be screening cryo-grids and hopefully,
preliminary single particle characterization before moving to a higher end
source:
1 ) Make/Model: We're currently comparing an FEI Talos L120C, which I
believe is the updated T12, with a JEOL 1400flash (both with LaB6
emitters).  Our EM facility manager suggested a Hitachi 78000.  The FEI
Talos camera is Ceta 16M Camera 200 kV (changing to a TVIPS or Gatan camera
would be cost-prohibitive due to mix-match fees).  The JEOL 1400flash
camera is Gatan OneView. *Have folks used either type of 'scope for cryoEM
screening applications?  Is it necessary to keep the Gatan OneView on
service contract? Is a Hitachi 7800 a viable 'scope for cryoEM/single
particle?*
2) Multifunctional purpose: Can the same microscope safely be used for both
cryoEM single particle acquisition and routine TEM of clinical samples,
without deteriorating image quality? What might be
considerations/precautions for mix/match of applications?
   Thanks in advance for sharing advice and experience!
Clara

Clara L. Kielkopf, Ph.D.
clara_kielkopf at urmc.rochester.edu
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/labs/kielkopf.aspx