[3dem] LN2 supply?

Matthias Wolf matthias.wolf at oist.jp
Sat Jan 19 05:44:20 PST 2019

Hi Bridget,

We also have a LN2 pipeline with a self-filling buffer tank in the OIST cryo-EM facility. The system has a liquid-gas separator in front of an internal buffer tank to vent gaseous N2 when the lines are warm. The gas is vented outside. It takes about 10min to cool down the 30 meters of vacuum-insulated stainless steel line from the >5000L external tank (which is filled every 3-4 weeks). The warm-up corresponds to loss of about 50L of LN2 each time the buffer tank is filled from a warm state. The buffer tank is 150L and a lower and upper threshold can be set with an electronic regulator for automatic filling once it gets near empty or full. When the lines are cold, the buffer tank is filled in 15min from near empty. It can also be used as a filling station for pressurized dewars.

In principle, multiple cryo scopes could be connected directly from this buffer tank - this is what it has been designed for. However, unfortunately someone decided years ago that such unattended filling may be too dangerous despite a closed circuit and multiple oxygen sensors with central alarm. So our cryo-TEMs have never been connected and regular dewars are filled instead from the buffer tank at this dispensing point, then shuttled over 10m to the scopes. So although we don't depend on LN2 dewar delivery from an external supplier, we disadvantages: still need to swap dewars, loose 50L each day for filling multiple dewars (not just for cryo-EM), and have danger of exposure to N2 gas when people use it for filling non-pressurized open dewars.
But if the system were directly connected to the scopes as designed, it would be very nice indeed.  I can send specifics if you like. Its price is not justified, however. Should minimize distance to external LN2 tank, and distance from buffer tank to scopes. With 6 scopes, a 300L buffer tank would maximize refilling intervals. Vibration and noise of our system during buffer tank filling are low, but worse when filling dewars from it - it should be installed outside the actual scope room. It is very reliable, no concerns. But must consider local regulations about unattended filling. Bulk delivery of LN2 by tanker is significantly cheaper than trucking in scope-ready dewars. This may compensate for loss due to warming up lines. Bottom line is you want a self-filling buffer tank in the facility, not connect the scopes directly to the same LN2 line. It also minimizes vibration transfer to other scopes when one is on a filling cycle.

Best regards,

   Matthias