[3dem] about Cryo-FIB vibration guideline

Ben Engel engelben at biochem.mpg.de
Thu Jan 10 03:43:03 PST 2019

Hi Chi-yu,

The cryo-stage needs to be really stable and free of vibrations, especially
during fine milling.  The consequence of too much vibration is that it will
be difficult to get your lamellas nice and thin (100-150 nm) without losing
the lamella completely.

I'm not sure how much vibration is tolerable, but I would prioritize having
as little as possible.  That said, I don't think we've done anything
special with our FIBs to minimize vibration, other than placing them on the
ground floor.  They aren't sitting on an isolated slab or anything like
that.  Tell your neighbors to quit their jackhammering.

Best,
Ben