[3dem] Precipitation observed after making freeze substitution cocktail containing 5% water

Qiaohui Yang qiaohui.yang at ymail.com
Thu Dec 19 00:39:29 PST 2019

Hi everyone!
We recently tried to make freeze substitution cocktailconsisting of 1% osmium tetroxide, 0.1% uranyl acetate and 5% water but observedthat the mixture turned slightly cloudy within 1-2 minutes. We tried to see if the precipitation would occur in the absence of osmium tetroxide, and we observed some cloudiness too after mixing uranyl acetate solution in water with pure acetone.
Just wondering if anyone has encountered similar problem andif so, would appreciate some tips on how to overcome this problem.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Qiaohui