[3dem] Examples of EM models at 4.0Å or better with serious modelling errors?

Gerard DVD Kleywegt gerard at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Dec 10 05:26:50 PST 2019

Dear colleagues,

We are developing a new validation method that takes EM maps and models into
account. In order to understand the potential, the applicability and the
limitations of the method we are looking for good test cases, which turn out
to be surprisingly hard to find.

What we are looking for are EM structures with serious modelling errors, e.g.
register errors (model sequence out-of-register with the map), connectivity
errors (between (non-)adjacent secondary structure elements), directionality
errors (e.g., a helix built backwards), substantial stretches of mistraced
residues, etc.

The structures should be publicly available in PDB (model) and EMDB (map),
they should be at 4.0Å resolution or better, and ideally there should be a
higher resolution improved structure (EM or X-ray).

If the modelling errors have been confirmed and discussed in the literature
that is ideal, but we are also interested if this is not the case.

Feel free to reply either in confidence to me (mailto:gerard at ebi.ac.uk), or to
the entire list.

Many thanks in advance for any examples you can think of!

PS: apologies for cross-posting to two other mailing lists.

--Gerard

---
Gerard J. Kleywegt, EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, UK
Head of Molecular and  Cellular Structure
gerard at ebi.ac.uk pdbe.org emdb-empiar.org
PA: Roisin Dunlop    pdbe_admin at ebi.ac.uk